Windsrock

Kaisa Tuulenkari

Blog

Tiny Pleasures

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Comments comments (0)

 

 

 

 

Imp

Click Here to visit my Collection on infectedbyart.com!

Another ArtOrder painting

Posted on March 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM Comments comments (0)

This time Jon wanted to raise a hand for a veteran fantasy illustrator  Jeff Easley.

I studied his take on Verminards red dragon and made my version of that monster.


©Kaisa Tuulenkari 2014


Here's my work in progress shots. Enjoy! I used watercolors and gouache.



New painting!

Posted on October 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Comments comments (0)

I made this painting for ArtOrder challenge Inspiration.


Aurora Borealis aka Revontulet

After a light nights of summery Finland there comes darker time. In darkness I can see lights. It's time to see stars and, when you are lucky, northern lights. There is a story that Aurora Borealis is born when foxes run on the snow and sparkles fly to the sky from it's tail.

©Kaisa Tuulenkari 2013

Medium is acrylics and coloured pencils.

Happy Holidays!

Posted on December 14, 2012 at 3:45 AM Comments comments (0)

This year is comming to it's end and I wish you all happy holidays and good  luck for the next year.


©Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012

My Mighty Mugg - Lord Soth's work process

Posted on September 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM Comments comments (0)

Blank figure came at june 14. 2012.

June 15. I started to work with it. Finding my consepts and printing colordesign. Now I needed some fake hair, two spikes for the elbows and more spikes for helmet. And some paint and glue of course. But first I needed to clean my table and make some room for him. Put MMin pieces. Looked basic instrutions from the internet to avoid any unpleasant suprises. First I gave those parts a light sanding.

I made a plaster mold for crown spikes. I casted some fiberglass spikes and sanded them. I used fiberglass just because I had it in the house, otherwise I would've buy something less toxic.

Made some calculations and used a handyhelpers to measure where to drill holes for crown.


First glued spikes with Super Attak.


 Weaved some artificial hair for theponytail.

Elbow spikes. Tip from a ballpoint pen. Added some Permapoxy for a fuller shape and glue. They need sanding after hardening.


I'm giving the surface some structure with glues and cords.

Final sanding before airbrushing basecoat. (Tape the ponytail to keep it on place.) I chouse black so I get it everywhere and I try to continue to paint from dark to light.Actualy I need only four colours: black, white, chrome yellow and red for the eyes. But if it seems to reguire more hues I'll consider this again.

 

Then I sketched with pencil on figure and broke the ice by painting eyes on place.


Had to add some brown to chrome yellow because it turned out too bright on black. All base colors on place. I'm thinking to add some metallic colours to the helmet.


I think metallic paints seem usually flat on 2D paintin, but on figures and other three dimensionalobjects it plays with light beautifully. I couldn't get that sparkelwith regular paints.


Painting details. Head's almostfinnished. Eyes need to be airbrushed and that's it.


Almost there. Putting pieces together.Some details and finnishing touches. Matt varnish for protection. Someone is upside-down waiting that varnish to dry.


Next day I airbrushed those eyes (or so I thought I would do) and add cloak. I had some old used to be black piece of cotton canvas for that purpose.


I should practice airbrushing more often. I suck wiht it. Canvas looked good but the eyes were making me suffer. I had to give up that thought and use regular brushes. I varnished his eyes and finished his cloak. June 29. he is ready to travel back to Jon.

July 1. 2012 we had last photoshoot and after that I packed him for mailing.


Thank you for your interest!

My latest painting

Posted on September 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM Comments comments (0)

I thought it would be nice to post here some work in progress photos of my latest painting. It's done with mixed media, acrylics and lace. I'm really bad with names but I have decidet to call this Final fire. Original sketch is from january 2010. It was nagging in my head so long that I had to paint it.

Running paint looks good but otherwise this isn't going exactly where I would like it to go.

I tried to fles it out with palette knife. It helped but wasn't the whole solution. I painted over almos everything with big brush and smokey colors.

This time the shape of head is more correct but her expression is too hard.

Some close ups. Now you see. Her face is more gentle and maybe sorrowful. It gives you more to think. Right?

© Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012 (33x24cm)

Winged unicycle

Posted on August 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM Comments comments (0)

Random sketch from yesterday.



Lord Soth is in the U.S.A.

Posted on August 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Comments comments (0)

My Mighty Mugg is ready and it has arrived to Wizards. It's going to GenCon at Wizards of the Coasts booth. If you will be there go to see it live.


Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012

Beholderes

Posted on March 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Comments comments (0)

I did a sketch of beholder for ArtOrder 'challenge' at year 2010. I always thought that I would like to see it finished. It's a corny femaile version of this classic Dungeons & Dragons monster. Now I finally think I'm done with it.


Beholderes, Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012


Have a fun weekend!

Happy Valentines day!

Posted on February 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM Comments comments (0)

Copyright 2012 Kaisa Tuulenkari


With this Dragon heart I wish you all very happy day!