Windsrock

Kaisa Tuulenkari

Blog

New challenge piece

Posted on June 10, 2015 at 3:15 AM Comments comments (0)

Art Orders' latest challenge dead line is aproaching fast. I have now uploaded my entry.

Reaching my inner child here and it seems to be boyish. Well, that's no suprise.

I used watercolor and acrylic paints on paper. It was fun to experience with the paletteknife. It produced nice teksture and most propably I will use this method again. This painting was a living and breathing process. Finding the finish through uncalculated but enjoyed mistakes. Giving it more depth.

Please, go and see all the fantastic entries and wish me luck with this tough competition.


Deep Explorers

Click Here to visit my Collection on infectedbyart.com!

Tiny Pleasures

Posted on March 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Comments comments (0)

 

 

 

 

Imp

Click Here to visit my Collection on infectedbyart.com!

Another ArtOrder painting

Posted on March 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM Comments comments (0)

This time Jon wanted to raise a hand for a veteran fantasy illustrator  Jeff Easley.

I studied his take on Verminards red dragon and made my version of that monster.


©Kaisa Tuulenkari 2014


Here's my work in progress shots. Enjoy! I used watercolors and gouache.



New painting!

Posted on October 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Comments comments (0)

I made this painting for ArtOrder challenge Inspiration.


Aurora Borealis aka Revontulet

After a light nights of summery Finland there comes darker time. In darkness I can see lights. It's time to see stars and, when you are lucky, northern lights. There is a story that Aurora Borealis is born when foxes run on the snow and sparkles fly to the sky from it's tail.

©Kaisa Tuulenkari 2013

Medium is acrylics and coloured pencils.

My Mighty Mugg - Lord Soth's work process

Posted on September 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM Comments comments (0)

Blank figure came at june 14. 2012.

June 15. I started to work with it. Finding my consepts and printing colordesign. Now I needed some fake hair, two spikes for the elbows and more spikes for helmet. And some paint and glue of course. But first I needed to clean my table and make some room for him. Put MMin pieces. Looked basic instrutions from the internet to avoid any unpleasant suprises. First I gave those parts a light sanding.

I made a plaster mold for crown spikes. I casted some fiberglass spikes and sanded them. I used fiberglass just because I had it in the house, otherwise I would've buy something less toxic.

Made some calculations and used a handyhelpers to measure where to drill holes for crown.


First glued spikes with Super Attak.


 Weaved some artificial hair for theponytail.

Elbow spikes. Tip from a ballpoint pen. Added some Permapoxy for a fuller shape and glue. They need sanding after hardening.


I'm giving the surface some structure with glues and cords.

Final sanding before airbrushing basecoat. (Tape the ponytail to keep it on place.) I chouse black so I get it everywhere and I try to continue to paint from dark to light.Actualy I need only four colours: black, white, chrome yellow and red for the eyes. But if it seems to reguire more hues I'll consider this again.

 

Then I sketched with pencil on figure and broke the ice by painting eyes on place.


Had to add some brown to chrome yellow because it turned out too bright on black. All base colors on place. I'm thinking to add some metallic colours to the helmet.


I think metallic paints seem usually flat on 2D paintin, but on figures and other three dimensionalobjects it plays with light beautifully. I couldn't get that sparkelwith regular paints.


Painting details. Head's almostfinnished. Eyes need to be airbrushed and that's it.


Almost there. Putting pieces together.Some details and finnishing touches. Matt varnish for protection. Someone is upside-down waiting that varnish to dry.


Next day I airbrushed those eyes (or so I thought I would do) and add cloak. I had some old used to be black piece of cotton canvas for that purpose.


I should practice airbrushing more often. I suck wiht it. Canvas looked good but the eyes were making me suffer. I had to give up that thought and use regular brushes. I varnished his eyes and finished his cloak. June 29. he is ready to travel back to Jon.

July 1. 2012 we had last photoshoot and after that I packed him for mailing.


Thank you for your interest!

Lord Soth is in the U.S.A.

Posted on August 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Comments comments (0)

My Mighty Mugg is ready and it has arrived to Wizards. It's going to GenCon at Wizards of the Coasts booth. If you will be there go to see it live.


Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012

D&D Mighty Mugg

Posted on April 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM Comments comments (0)

One day, not so long time ago, I send my consept for Lord Soth Mighty Mugg to Jon Shindehette for D&D Mighty Mugg creativity challenge. Today I got the happy news that it was accepted and I have the pleasure to make my consept to real custom toy. It will be displayed at GenCon with other D&D Mighty Muggs. I couldn't be happier!


Beholderes

Posted on March 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Comments comments (0)

I did a sketch of beholder for ArtOrder 'challenge' at year 2010. I always thought that I would like to see it finished. It's a corny femaile version of this classic Dungeons & Dragons monster. Now I finally think I'm done with it.


Beholderes, Kaisa Tuulenkari 2012


Have a fun weekend!